Monday, February 23, 2009

Back to reality?

Eventually got back down to Cardiff after a long haul from Edinburgh. Took a different route, this time thru Midlothian & Lanarkshire. Fantastic scenery included steep mountains, massive hills and odd, undulating glacial valleys. Must go back to the ‘lowlands’ – they’re awesome!

Arriving back here, an over-whelming thirst & a need to extend my holiday to the very last minute led me to head for the local hills, and to The Star, my local. Pear cider was an essential medicine. Led me to a rapid recuperation! Upon reflection, the week seems to have flown by, and I’m looking forward to Easter, when I’ll no doubt go somewhere else on my travels. I’ve never been able to stay at home – I love to get away & always do whenever I get the chance.

Today, the return to work was OK. I was shattered at the start of the day, but gathered energy as it progressed. Oddly, I even managed to stay focused during a meeting – and even contributed. Was amazed actually. Normally, I become bored instantly and glaze over during such events. Within seconds of sitting down, my mind wanders & I enter a parallel universe, within which, sleek bikers on superbikes, Andrew van Wyngarden and the entire cast of Torchwood float effortlessly by, interacting seamlessly with people from my real world. It’s a fascinating place to be, though unnerving at times, especially when one returns, briefly to the real world as a result of hearing my name being called loudly, or by the sound of my own asthmatic snoring.

Having had tea (jumbo prawns & Morrison’s ‘serve yourself’ salad) I’m now trying to work out how to organize my evening. I have to shower, do some planning & also sort out some paperwork. I also have to update my iPhone... need to delete some overplayed tunes and add some new stuff. The Medic Droid & White Lies will be on there first, and I think Weezer & Throbbing Gristle may be given the sack!

I also want to look at what bikes cost these days.. two years without one, and talking to Jack recently has rekindled my desire for a new one.

Later in the week, two long evening meetings which will be as stimulating as root canal treatment, a meal with Ash which will be awesome and a BIG Wales game to watch on Friday, no doubt that’ll be a nerve-racking experience!

Gotta go.. work to do!

No comments: