Sunday, October 26, 2008

Social Networks & blogs... Worth it?


Have to admit I initially thought social networks, like this one, were a total waste of time. Having set them up, loads, to be honest - initially just to see what they were about, and also to improve my internet 'literacy', I intended to ditch them after a suitably experimental period.

Sure, you can over-use them - and some people have become addicted to them, and some people seem to waste many hours just bugging other people, but I've totally surprized myself by finding them actually quite useful... I am amazed to admit this!

Well, the 'chat' functions (including speech & video) on some - has saved me a total fortune in text messages and phone calls. I now contact friends & associates far more often - without worrying about gargantuan bills at thr end of the month.

It's also easy to keep and manage contact lists, which are constantly lost on 'Outlook', each time a laptop dies! It's also cool to keep separate profiles & accounts, for different types of groups of friends... works well!


It's a great way to have an on-line presence without being an expert in HTML or web design, and an awesome way of storing digital pictures, videos, etc, often without upload limits or controls. I love the fact that you can also choose your on-line persona, whether it be the 'real' me, or any other alternative version (perhaps from a parallel universe) I'd care to create!


There's also the fun & creativity aspect. You can design widgets, applications, slide shows, etc, and keep them private - or share them with the world. Groups are good too > great ways of picking up stories and eye-raising gossip, perhaps about TV celebrities & other personalities!


Beyond that, and perhaps most importantly - social networks have been a great way to keep in touch with people who'd otherwise just drift out of touch. Sad, and unnecessarily so.

Only this weekend, I randomly 'met up' online with people I knew over ten years ago... oddly, people who had been thinking of me - some thinking I'd actually left this universe - for good! Great to be in touch again - and without one social network or another - this would never have happened!


Memories are so important... Social networks can help you keep them!


Take care,

Chris@TW-CF

No comments: